Monday, November 17, 2008

Sheee-eeee's Baaa-aaaack!

So, we made the big move this weekend. Our little cramped home office upstairs is now in the beautiful big space downstairs that was once a garage. The only down-side? 2 days with no internet lol! How did I survive before this? To top it all off, I haven't been able to find my cell phone all weekend (turned up in a coat pocket this morning, so all is well). Which all leads me to this... How much technology is good for us? I mean, I grew up with no computer, no cell phone, no internet once we did get a computer, and the TV I had as a kid, you had to get up to change the channels, all 6 of them! I know, I sound like that old guy on the car-sense commercials... "We had to go find cars the old way, kicking tires, cup of Joe and days on end.." But you see what I mean. I have to admit, it was kind of cool having a tech-free weekend. I had to run out to do some errands, I had no phone, so I paid attention to what I was doing. My errands ended up being quicker. Lack of technology made me MORE efficient, it seems. The running around that would have ended up being the whole afternoon? Back in an hour. I couldn't keep calling to see if we needed that. I couldn't just run to a few other places because Ira could call if he was looking for me. I told him I would be back at a certain time and I needed to be back as reasonably close to that time as I could. No excuses. Could it be that all those things that are meant to be time savers and helpers are really inhibitors? When you don't have them at your constant disposal, it makes a world of difference. I was able to accomplish so much more, honestly! I am thinking, I just may start leaving my cell phone at home on the weekends from now on. It works a lot better than any other time management tool I have ever had.

No comments: