Monday, November 10, 2008

What was I thinking?


Ok, remember when I got this great idea to do 32 posts in 32 days..... with pictures? I had this great idea that I wanted to let my kids know a little about me at this time in my life. I had this idea that I could chronicle a month of day-to-day life, throw it all together, and create a scrapbook that would be a perfect way to show them what their mom was like at age 36? Me, as a person, rather than as the "mom". Remember that first post about how I love making their birthday cakes? How I want them to remember that I always did that? Remember all the nostalgia there? Go back and reread that post. Then come here and read this. WHAT WAS I THINKING? Why in God's Green EARTH am I spending most of a Saturday night and then the better part of a Sunday morning making 2 small round cakes surrounded by a million differently colored frosted cupcakes on cute trays with coordinating sparkling sprinkles? Yeah, they are adorable and yummy. Yeah, nothing is as tempting as a cupcake, if you ask me. But there are some pretty good bakeries around here. After the $14,000 I spent on cake mix, butter cream frosting ingredients (11 pounds of butter, 92 pounds of powdered sugar, 1 tablespoon milk) and then the colored gel to dye it, the sprinkles, the gizmos and gadgets to make all the swirls and such in the frosting just so, What the hell is wrong with me? Here is what my kitchen counter looked like after. You can't even see the eleven bowls in the sink along with the 47 spoons, scrapers, pans, and assorted measuring devices. Next year, we are doing the Acme sheet cake with fancy plastic princess figurines. I will still sprinkle the edible glitter on it. Yeah, that is a nice touch. I can even take it out of the box and put it on one of my own trays. Maybe I will write their names in my own hand writing. That could fool them. If they doubt I love them, I will just get they a pony or something.

No comments: