Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Sniffling-sneezing-snot-running-down-your-nose-drive-to-school.

No, it wasn't my first day back to work after an extended maternity leave. But close. It is just an ordinary Tuesday after a 3 day weekend. I wasn't happy about getting up, but who ever is happy about getting up on a cold morning when bed is warm and cozy, if not somewhat crowded?

When I got out of the shower I heard a paniced "Mommy!" and a little whining. It was Haley. I went in to see her and she was distraught. "Don't ever leave me mommy!" she cried all over me. God, that just broke my heart. I promised her I would come snuggle her before I went to work, and I had to go get dressed. (I was wrapped in a towel, how could she miss that?)

So, I got dressed, dried my hair, put on some make-up and readied myself for school. I went down stairs to feed the beasts dogs and make a cup of coffee when I hear the paniced scream "MOMMY! Mommy, where ARE you!?"

This was serious.

I ran upstairs and there is my poor child, my baby, in tears, sobbing that I had left her. That I had not come in to hug her goodbye. Sobbing. Heart wrenching gut-sobs. The kind that make her entire little body shake.

"Mommy, don't ever leave me, I love you too much."

and I had to settle her down with the Wonder Pets and go to work.

So, as stated earlier, I had indeed put on some make-up this morning, and done my hair as well. Yeah, most of that was cried, rubbed and snotted off on the way to school as I sobbed and snotted all over myself.

Sometimes it sucks to be the mom.

No comments: